Download Digital Disconnect: How Capitalism is Turning the Internet by Robert W. McChesney PDF
By Robert W. McChesney
Celebrants and skeptics alike have produced worthy analyses of the Internet’s impact on us and our international, oscillating among utopian bliss and dystopian hell. yet in line with Robert W. McChesney, arguments on each side fail to deal with the connection among fiscal energy and the electronic world.
McChesney’s award-winning Rich Media, negative Democracy skewered the belief society sopping wet in advertisement info is a democratic one. In Digital Disconnect, McChesney returns to this provocative thesis in gentle of the advances of the electronic age. He argues that the pointy decline within the enforcement of antitrust violations, the rise in patents on electronic expertise and proprietary platforms and big oblique subsidies and different regulations have made the net a spot of numbing commercialism. A handful of monopolies now dominate the political economic climate, from Google, which garners a ninety seven percentage percentage of the cellular seek industry, to Microsoft, whose working process is utilized by over ninety percentage of the world’s pcs. Capitalism’s colonization of the web has spurred the cave in of credible journalism and made the web an remarkable equipment for presidency and company surveillance and a disturbingly antidemocratic force.
In Digital Disconnect, Robert McChesney deals a groundbreaking critique of the web, urging us to reclaim the democratizing capability of the electronic revolution whereas we nonetheless can.
Read or Download Digital Disconnect: How Capitalism is Turning the Internet Against Democracy PDF
Best capitalism books
Pdf test. strong quality.
These notes of 1857-58 throw mild on Marx's perspectives about the epochs of society and their evolutionary phases. vital for figuring out the method of ancient materialism, and as historical past for additional improvement of the Marxist examine of background.
Introduction through Eric J. Hobsbawm.
Of all of the techniques that have emerged to explain the consequences of capitalism at the human international, none is extra photograph or simply grasped than “reification”—the strategy wherein women and men are changed into gadgets, issues. bobbing up out of Marx’s account of commodity fetishism, the idea that of reification deals an unrivalled device with which to give an explanation for the genuine outcomes of the facility of capital on awareness itself.
Shahrukh Rafi Khan, Jens Christiansen (eds. )
The worldwide monetary and monetary main issue beginning in 2007 has provoked the exploration of possible choices to neo-liberalism. even though neo-liberalism has been critiqued from quite a few views, those evaluations haven't coalesced right into a concrete replacement in improvement economics literature. the most target of this publication is to call and formulate this substitute, establish what's new approximately this point of view, and venture it directly to the educational landscape.
This publication comprises contributions from many sought after improvement economists who're unified via a kind of "developmental pragmatism". Their predicament is with the issues of improvement that preoccupied the pioneers of financial improvement within the mid-twentieth century, often called the developmentalists. just like the developmentalists, the participants to in the direction of New Developmentalism are policy-oriented and supportive of institutional improvement and engagement with financial globalization. This assortment has an over-arching situation with selling social justice, and holds the overall view of the industry because the ability to affecting an alternate software of improvement instead of as a grasp whose dictates are to be obeyed with out question.
This vital assortment units the schedule for brand new developmentalism, drawing on concerns equivalent to business coverage, know-how, festival, development and poverty. In vast phrases, the industrial improvement debate is forged when it comes to even if the marketplace is the grasp, an ideological neo-liberal viewpoint, or the capacity to impact swap as instructed via the pragmatic standpoint that's being termed neo-developmentalism. This booklet should be worthwhile analyzing to postgraduates and researchers specialising within the zone of improvement reviews together with inside economics, diplomacy, political technology and sociology.
Part 1: creation
1. Exploring and naming an monetary improvement substitute Shahrukh Rafi Khan
Part 2: Conceptual matters and a brand new developmentalist time table
2. The marketplace as capability instead of grasp: The concern of improvement and the longer term position of the country Robert Wade
3. Hamlet with out the Prince of Denmark: How improvement has disappeared from today’s ‘development’ discourse Ha-Joon Chang
4. The economics of failed, failing, and fragile states: effective constitution because the lacking hyperlink Erik S. Reinert, Yves Ekoué Amaïzo, and Rainer Kattel
Part three: Neo-liberal constraints at the coverage schedule
5. The pernicious legacy of the rent-seeking paradigm Helen Shapiro
6. Cementing neo-liberalism within the constructing global: Ideational and institutional constraints on coverage area Ilene Grabel
7. family source mobilization for a new-developmentalist procedure within the age of globalization: The economic area problem in Latin the US Luis Abugattas and Eva Paus
8. funding treaties as a constraining framework Gus Van Harten half four: Case reviews in pro-active executive
9. govt reform and business improvement in China and Mexico Kevin P. Gallagher and M. Shafaeddin
10. progress and improvement in Africa: demanding situations and possibilities Leonce Ndikumana half five: end: relocating to possible choices
11. Climate-resilient business improvement paths: layout rules and replacement versions Lyuba Zarsky
12. in the direction of new developmentalism: context, application and constraints Shahrukh Rafi Khan
- Capital: A Critique of Political Economy, Volume 2
- Collected Works, Volume 45: Letters 1874-79
- Economics After Capitalism: A Guide to the Ruins and a Road to the Future
- The Age of Austerity: How Scarcity Will Remake American Politics
- The Formative Period of American Capitalism: A Materialist Interpretation (Routledge International Studies in Business History)
- Collected Works, Volume 36: Karl Marx - Capital, Volume 2
Extra resources for Digital Disconnect: How Capitalism is Turning the Internet Against Democracy
Then she looked up at slyly. " My students have all seen and all love Office Space, a movie by Bcauis and Butthead creator Mike Judge. They love it for two power me ful reasons. It's funny and it's hip. It's hip because they sense that it is subversive. Office Space is one of the few mainstream movies in which they feel they have been told the unvarnished truth about the nature of work. They believe that it presents the real world that waits for them. " Thoreau couldn't have put it better. Office Space does not describe a world that they want to be part of, but at the same time they don't know how it can be avoided.
The question is, What survives the general slaughter? In Hamlet, the final scene is a brutal leveling of all of the major char acters. Only Horatio survives and with him something of the mur dered king's ethic of loyalty based on justice. But the martial Fortinbras, a minor character who arrives on stage only in the play's very last moment, also survives. Fortinbras (his name 37 THE SPIRIT OF DISOBEDIENCE means, literally, "strength in arms") clearly cannot be about the restoration of the king's ethic.
Damn GM. ) Corporate America could vanish like the Soviet politburo, gone as if it never had been. So, it ends up that what we're most afraid of is the collapse of the very thing that we're most opposed to. Out of fear, we remain committed to a system that has every appearance of heading for ca tastrophe. If the economy is dependent on consumption, but an economy of consumption is ultimately nonsustainable, then our ef forts to sustain the economy are also efforts to sustain the certain arrival of disaster.