Download David Harvey: A Critical Reader (Antipode Book Series) by Noel Castree, Derek Gregory PDF
By Noel Castree, Derek Gregory
This booklet significantly interrogates the paintings of David Harvey, one of many world’s so much influential geographers, and certainly one of its most sensible identified Marxists.
* Considers the whole variety of Harvey’s oeuvre, from the character of urbanism to environmental matters.
* Written through participants from around the human sciences, working with various severe theories.
* specializes in key subject matters in Harvey’s paintings.
* incorporates a consolidated bibliography of Harvey’s writings.
Read Online or Download David Harvey: A Critical Reader (Antipode Book Series) PDF
Best capitalism books
Pdf test. stable quality.
These notes of 1857-58 throw mild on Marx's perspectives in regards to the epochs of society and their evolutionary levels. vital for figuring out the procedure of old materialism, and as historical past for additional improvement of the Marxist examine of heritage.
Introduction through Eric J. Hobsbawm.
Of the entire strategies that have emerged to explain the results of capitalism at the human international, none is extra image or simply grasped than “reification”—the strategy during which women and men are changed into items, issues. bobbing up out of Marx’s account of commodity fetishism, the idea that of reification bargains an unrivalled instrument with which to provide an explanation for the true effects of the facility of capital on awareness itself.
Shahrukh Rafi Khan, Jens Christiansen (eds. )
The international monetary and fiscal main issue beginning in 2007 has provoked the exploration of choices to neo-liberalism. even supposing neo-liberalism has been critiqued from quite a few views, those evaluations haven't coalesced right into a concrete replacement in improvement economics literature. the most aim of this booklet is to call and formulate this replacement, establish what's new approximately this perspective, and undertaking it directly to the educational landscape.
This booklet contains contributions from many favorite improvement economists who're unified by means of a kind of "developmental pragmatism". Their drawback is with the issues of improvement that preoccupied the pioneers of financial improvement within the mid-twentieth century, referred to as the developmentalists. just like the developmentalists, the individuals to in the direction of New Developmentalism are policy-oriented and supportive of institutional improvement and engagement with monetary globalization. This assortment has an over-arching situation with selling social justice, and holds the overall view of the marketplace because the potential to affecting another application of improvement instead of as a grasp whose dictates are to be obeyed with out question.
This very important assortment units the schedule for brand spanking new developmentalism, drawing on concerns reminiscent of commercial coverage, expertise, festival, progress and poverty. In large phrases, the industrial improvement debate is solid when it comes to no matter if the industry is the grasp, an ideological neo-liberal point of view, or the ability to impact switch as instructed through the pragmatic point of view that's being termed neo-developmentalism. This e-book might be helpful examining to postgraduates and researchers specialising within the region of improvement reports together with inside of economics, diplomacy, political technological know-how and sociology.
Part 1: creation
1. Exploring and naming an monetary improvement substitute Shahrukh Rafi Khan
Part 2: Conceptual concerns and a brand new developmentalist schedule
2. The marketplace as skill instead of grasp: The challenge of improvement and the long run function of the kingdom Robert Wade
3. Hamlet with out the Prince of Denmark: How improvement has disappeared from today’s ‘development’ discourse Ha-Joon Chang
4. The economics of failed, failing, and fragile states: effective constitution because the lacking hyperlink Erik S. Reinert, Yves Ekoué Amaïzo, and Rainer Kattel
Part three: Neo-liberal constraints at the coverage schedule
5. The pernicious legacy of the rent-seeking paradigm Helen Shapiro
6. Cementing neo-liberalism within the constructing international: Ideational and institutional constraints on coverage house Ilene Grabel
7. family source mobilization for a new-developmentalist method within the age of globalization: The monetary area quandary in Latin the US Luis Abugattas and Eva Paus
8. funding treaties as a constraining framework Gus Van Harten half four: Case reports in pro-active govt
9. govt reform and business improvement in China and Mexico Kevin P. Gallagher and M. Shafaeddin
10. development and improvement in Africa: demanding situations and possibilities Leonce Ndikumana half five: end: relocating to possible choices
11. Climate-resilient commercial improvement paths: layout rules and substitute versions Lyuba Zarsky
12. in the direction of new developmentalism: context, software and constraints Shahrukh Rafi Khan
- The Slumbering Masses: Sleep, Medicine, and Modern American Life
- City of Angels; or, The Overcoat of Dr. Freud: A Novel
- Capitalism and Social Progress: The Future of Society in a Global Economy
- A Capitalism for the People: Recapturing the Lost Genius of American Prosperity
Extra info for David Harvey: A Critical Reader (Antipode Book Series)
Troubling Geographies 23 does pay closer attention to uneven development and to variations in neoliberal programmes beyond the United States, but even here his analyses of (for example) China or Mexico remain at an aggregate, macro-level. Although Harvey explicitly acknowledges that the violence of neoliberalism is registered within the integuments of everyday life, the fractured spaces of experience, how such a promissory note is to be redeemed through his own way of working remains unclear. 36 To meet these criticisms would require a different way of theorizing, a different way of working the theoretical and the empirical, that would disrupt the plenary ambitions of Harvey’s project.
Speciﬁcally, Harvey’s move from Bristol to Baltimore was formative. Baltimore ‘had gone up in ﬂames’ the year before Harvey (2002: 169) arrived. Civil rights issues were paramount, and made literally concrete to Harvey when he slept on the pavement outside the Black Panthers’ Baltimore headquarters to protect that organization from potential violence following the police killing of its leader, Fred Hampton, in December 1969 (Harvey 2002b: 170). The Vietnam War was reaching new crescendos of violence (President Nixon’s secret campaign to bomb Cambodia began in 1969), sparking widespread university campus protest resulting in the killing of four students at Kent State University in May 1970.
This is belied by David Harvey’s life. Coming to America provided the impetus to a second theory of geographical knowledge based upon Marx and dialectical materialism. This move, I suggested, is linked to the larger social context in which Harvey was embedded, the places in which he lived and studied, and the spaces through which he moved. These are not all determining, making the shift inevitable and transparent. Harvey exercises his own agency, which adds contingency and complication. And this is certainly seen in the very relationship between the two halves of Harvey’s knowledges.